The United Benefice of Withington, Sevenhampton with Charlton Abbots, Hawling, Whittington, Dowdeswell and Andoversford, Shipton and Cold Salperton
St Michael's Church, Dowdeswell
A Norman church stood on this
site with its wonderful views over
Cheltenham and the Severn
Valley. The original church, it
seems, was burnt down and the
present church erected on the old
foundations. Some ancient
‘graffiti’ on a window base in the
north transept tells us that the
steeple was built in 1577 and
names the workmen including
“Thomas Childe, Pson (Parson)”.
The steeple contains three bells including
one dating from the 15th century.
St Michael’s now serves as the Parish Church for the villages of Dowdeswell and Andoversford. Throughout the centuries it has stood as a Christian presence in the community; a place of prayer and worship, of service and hospitality. This witness continues today with the Good News about Jesus Christ – his birth, life, death and resurrection - being central to the work and worship of the church family.